Pages

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Last Christmas

On Sunday I heard the WHAM! song "Last Christmas" for the first time this season ... actually the radio station played it several times (why I did not get up to change the station is beyond me, but ...), anyway, I found myself thinking about Nick Hornby's book "About a boy" whose hero seems haunted by the fact that he is living off the royalties of an awful Christmas song that his father wrote (something like Santa's Christmas Sled).

Another of Hornby's books, "High Fidelity," is one of the funniest books I have ever read, I laughed until I cried over several passages, particularly those taking place in the record shop. Both books have been made into movies (also good) but the books are great.

Back to "Last Christmas," it's just one of those syrupy songs you just can't get out of your mind. The only thing worse is the truly awful music video that goes along with it. We saw it on an AirBerlin flight in 2003. I am sorry to say it seems to have been filmed in Saas Fee Switzerland - great skiing, no cars.

I wonder if the WHAM! folks will be haunted like the Hornby character, and I wonder how many more Christmases we will be hearing the song. Not only from WHAM! but from everyone who's covered the song!

No comments: